Transfer Credit Guide FAQs

ASU’s Transfer Credit Guide

The Transfer Credit Guide is a helpful online tool for searching transfer to ASU course equivalencies. If a specific course is not found, then a transfer course evaluation can be requested. Find helpful information below.

ASU’s Transfer Credit Guide

ASU’s Transfer Credit Guide

What is the Transfer Credit Guide?

The Transfer Credit Guide (TCG) is a helpful online tool that allows students to search for ASU course equivalencies and see how a transfer course from another institution would apply at ASU. If a specific course is not found, then the student can request a course to be evaluated by submitting it through the Transfer Credit Guide.

How long does it take to evaluate a transfer course?

The time it takes to evaluate a course depends on a variety of factors. During high-volume periods such as the summer and the weeks immediately prior to the start of a semester, evaluations could take longer than two weeks. In an effort to minimize the time it takes to evaluate courses, courses should only be submitted once. Courses will not need to be resubmitted even if courses have been submitted by an advisor, updates are needed, or errors were made in the original submission. Instead, email with updates or additional information. The status of an evaluation can be checked through the My Transfer Courses link on the TCG. Once the evaluation is complete an email will be sent out with the evaluation.

Who evaluates my courses?

Most lower-division course work is evaluated by highly trained staff using standard ASU criteria established by faculty in all disciplines and subject areas. All upper-division course work, in addition to some complex or specialized lower-division course work, is evaluated by ASU faculty in the academic area that offers comparable courses at ASU.

Using the Transfer Credit Guide

Using the Transfer Credit Guide

Why is my course not listed in the Transfer Credit Guide?

If a course is not displayed when searching in the Transfer Credit Guide, the course has never been evaluated. You can submit the course for evaluation and the results of the evaluation will be updated in the Transfer Credit Guide.If you recently sent a transcript to ASU (after July 2014), the evaluation of transfer coursework will be automatic. If you have not submitted a transcript yet and your courses are not appearing in the Transfer Credit Guide, you can submit courses for evaluation.

What is an effective date?

An effective date is the range in which the course equivalency is valid. Effective dates start with the fall semester and end with the summer semester. For example, if an equivalency is valid from 2009 – 2012, it is valid from fall 2009 through summer 2012.

What if I took a course that has an equivalency outside of the listed effective date?

Courses taken outside of the effective dates will need to be submitted for evaluation.

What do the letters in parentheses after an equivalency mean?

The letters are the General Studies and/or awareness areas associated with the equivalency. For more information, read the University Undergraduate General Studies Requirements.

Submitting a Course for Evaluation

Submitting a Course for Evaluation

How do I submit a course for evaluation?

For students to have their transfer courses evaluated, each course will need to be submitted through the Transfer Credit Guide at The student will need to be logged in to or create an account to submit course evaluation requests.  For a future student who has not been admitted to ASU, the student will need to select “Sign Up” to make an account through to access the Transfer Credit Guide. Once logged in, there will be a link in the upper-right hand side of the page (under the big “My Transfer Courses” link) that says “Submit a Course for Evaluation.” Click on the link to submit courses.  In order to populate the submission form, the student will need to provide the following information:

  • The location (state) of the transferring institution
  • The name of the institution
  • Course prefix and number
  • Title of the course
  • Term taken with the catalog year
  • Credit hours

If the course was taken prior to 1996 or is an upper division course, the student will need to provide a syllabus with the request for evaluation.  For old courses where a student is unable to attain a syllabus from the year the course was completed, a current syllabus with a note from the transferring institution stating the content of the course has not changed is generally acceptable. If there is no additional information needed, the student will receive an email with an evaluation for the course.

What information is required for a course evaluation?

Course evaluations require:

  • state and institution where the course was taken
  • the semester and year the course was taken
  • the course prefix and course number

The course prefix and number should come from the school’s transcript or course catalog – not from the ASU Degree Audit (DARS). Please do not directly enter in an ASU equivalent. For example, it is important to enter ENG 100 and not EXX 001, which can show on the DARS.

While it is not required to submit a syllabus for lower-division courses, it is highly encouraged that one be submitted, as this helps to make the most accurate evaluation. All upper-division courses require a syllabus or course outline that clearly lists the topics covered in the course for evaluation. Please note that the syllabus or outline must be from the academic year the course was taken.

Why is a syllabus or course description needed for transfer course evaluation?

To get an accurate understanding of what was taught in a class, additional course information may be necessary for transfer credit evaluation. A syllabus is required for all international course evaluations as well as all upper division transfer course evaluations. It may be necessary to submit additional information for other courses as well. If necessary, an email will be sent shortly after course submission in the Transfer Credit Guide requesting additional information. Additional information can include a syllabus, lab schedule, detailed course description and textbook information.

I do not have a syllabus and my transfer course is upper-division.

 Contact the institution previously attended to try to obtain the information. Academic units or the Registrar’s Office often have syllabi or course outlines on file.

I do not have a syllabus and my transfer course is lower-division.

When submitting a course, please submit with all the information currently available. Students with courses that need additional information to evaluate will be notified by email.

What if my institution is not listed when I try to submit a course?

Select the state in which the course was taken, and then select “Other”. Enter the name of the institution in the open text field. Please note that some schools might be part of a district or larger school.  For example, ASU has 4 different campus, but they all fall under ASU.

Do you evaluate international course work?

As of October 1, 2016 ASU will evaluate all international course work submitted on an official transcript. International courses will populate on your DARS with a status of UPR or LWR. If seeking a direct equivalency for a course with UPR or LWR status please submit a course equivalency request to the Transfer Credit Guide with a syllabus translated into English. Work with your academic advisor to determine which courses should be submitted to the Transfer Credit Guide. The status of the evaluations can be viewed on yourMy Transfer Courses page.

Can I submit a Study Abroad course?

Study Abroad courses can be submitted on the Study Abroad website.  Please upload the syllabi in PDF or word format only. URL links are also accepted. Both past and future (pre evaluation) submissions are allowed for Study Abroad courses.

Can I submit a course that I have not taken yet for evaluation?

Yes, but note pre-evaluations can only be done for domestic courses.  International courses will have to be showing on an official transcript that ASU has received and processed. International courses cannot be submitted for pre-evaluation. Study Abroad pre-evaluations can take up to one month.

What if my course was taken prior to 1996?

If courses were taken prior to 1996, they will need to be submitted to the Transfer Credit Guide for evaluation. If an official course description cannot be accessed from the year that the course was taken, an email will be sent stating that the course in an "Old Course." If this email is received, please either contact the school that transferred the course to request an archived course description or work with your ASU Academic Advisor to see if the course may apply to a specific degree program. Once an archived course description has been obtained, the course should not be resubmitted. Instead, please attach it to the original TCG submission.

How and when will I be notified that my course evaluation is complete?

Go to the My Submissions section of the Transfer Credit Guide (top right corner) and view the status of evaluations. The evaluation process will take approximately one to two weeks. Students will be notified of the evaluation via email as each course evaluation is completed.

How will my course be evaluated?

There are several possible evaluations that a transfer course can receive:

  • direct equivalency to an ASU course
  • department elective
  • elective credit
  • non-transferable

What is a direct equivalency?

If a transfer course is determined to be a direct equivalent to a course at ASU, the content of the transfer course and the ASU course are substantially similar. Courses must be the same level and same amount of credit hours to be considered for a direct equivalency. Direct equivalent courses must be university-level and transferable according to ASU guidelines. If evaluated as a direct equivalent to an ASU course, the transfer course will also fulfill any general studies and awareness areas associated with the ASU course.

What is a department elective?

Department elective credit is granted to any course that is university-level and transferable according to ASU guidelines and a direct equivalent to a course at ASU, but it falls within a given subject area at ASU, it is reviewed for department elective credit. Please note that department elective credit is also eligible for general studies designations. If a course receives an evaluation of a department elective it will show on your DARS as subject area + DEC (for example ENG DEC).

What Is elective credit?

Elective credit is granted to any course that is university-level and transferable according to ASU guidelines. If a transfer course is not a direct equivalent to a course at ASU and does not fall within an ASU subject area or is in a subject area that does not allow for department elective credit, then it might receive elective credit. Please note: that elective credit may be eligible for general studies designations.

Why would my course be non-transferable?

Courses will receive an evaluation of non-transferable if they are:

  • credit awarded by postsecondary schools in the United States that lack candidate status or are not accredited by a regional accrediting association
  • credit awarded by postsecondary schools for life experience
  • credit awarded by postsecondary schools for courses taken at noncollegiate institutions (e.g., governmental agencies, corporations, industrial firms, etc.)
  • credit awarded by postsecondary schools for noncredit courses, workshops and seminars offered by other postsecondary schools as part of continuing education programs
  • note you will not receive transfer credit for a course in which a grade below “C-“ was earned as a final grade
  • remedial or developmental in nature
  • occupational, vocational, technical or highly specialized training courses
  • life experience, work experience or personal development courses
  • non-credit continuing education workshops, courses or seminars

Do you evaluate military courses?

ASU will process all military course completions submitted on an official Joint Services Transcript (JST) according to the established criteria for transferring military credit. Military course completions will populate on your DARS as either department elective credit or general elective credit.

Do you award credit for time served?

Veterans or active duty students will be awarded Military Science Department Elective Credit (MIS DEC) based on time in service. This is in addition to any credit awarded from the Joint Service Transcript according to the process described above.

Course credit hours are assessed as follows:

  • Less than 3 months = No Credit;
  • 3 months = 2 credit hours;
  • 6 months = 4 credit hours;
  • 9 months = 6 credit hours;
  • 12 or more months = 8 credit hours.



What degree requirements do my transfer courses fulfill?

Courses are evaluated to determine their equivalency to ASU courses. Not all courses will transfer or apply to every major. Students must see an academic advisor for additional information about transferring credit to a major. (Advisor information can be found through My Programs & Degree Progress in My ASU)

Once my transfer courses have been evaluated, how is my record updated?

First-year composition and math courses (not statistics) will be updated on student’s DARS within 24 hours of notification of the course evaluation decision. For all other courses, a student’s academic advisor or academic unit will update the DARS. The advisor/department will receive copies of all evaluation results within 48 hours of the course evaluation decision. Please allow several days for records to be updated. For questions, please contact an advisor. (Advisor information can be found through My Programs & Degree Progress in My ASU)

TroubleShooting - FAQ

TroubleShooting - FAQ

I am unsure how to submit courses.

Go to the Transfer Credit Guide. Search for transfer courses you have taken in the Transfer Credit Guide to see if there is an evaluation on file already. If they are listed and the effective range includes the semester and year the course was taken, then the course does not need to be submitted for evaluation. If courses are not listed, or if the semester and year of the courses fall outside of our effective range, click on the maroon Submit Course for Evaluation link in the upper right corner; that leads to the submission page. Fill in the required information and submit the courses for evaluation.

I can not get my syllabus to attach.

Please be aware that the system only recognizes PDFs. If a file cannot be converted to a PDF, send it to Please include your name and student ID number in the email. If more information has been requested, please send it to Do not submit it through the Transfer Credit Guide. 

I can not log in.

Only users with an ASURITE UserID or who have previously created an account are able to log into the system. If you have not yet applied for admission and received a UserID, click on Create an Account. If you create your own account, keep your login and password information. We are not able to look up user information or reset it once lost.

I received an email with my course evaluation, but I lost it.

Log in to the Transfer Credit Guide and click on My Submissions (top right corner), and you can see your course evaluations. We add every course evaluation to our database after we evaluate it, so you can also look up your transfer course in our searchable database to find the evaluation.

Additional questions?

Send an email to